No Matter where you fall on the political spectrum, nobody can deny the effect of this week with signing and the passing of the Healthcare Reform Bill. Debate has taken place and will continue to take place as the steps are taken to execute Affordable Care Act bill and this Patient Protection. A number of the bill’s most crucial areas would not even go into effect with others. Needless to say, it is going to be a long time before failure or the success of the legislation can be ascertained, and there are lots of holes to plug and tweaks to make on the way.
The impact of this All Americans will feel bill, however, the team that the most engage the health care system is that the community that is disabled. This community has many faces. The young disabled veteran returning from Iraq and getting care from the Veterans Administration (VA). Needs she might have safely obtaining sections of her residence or after a serious illness, such as help bathing, Medicare would not cover. With nearly 50 million Americans and about two-thirds of those individuals having a disability, it is simple for an individual’s struggle with the health care system to get lost in translation. How will people be affected by the laws ?
Some of the better Areas of the bill include the denial of coverage for preexisting problems and discrimination. This bashir dawood law will make being denied insurance of the past, which is of benefit to individuals with disabilities that have fought against these obstacles. Other areas of the bill that expect to reduce the expense of health care for millions, could inadvertently help individuals with disabilities by hypothetically generating more expendable income in that community and empower people with disabilities to buy the mobility equipment and services needed to live a full and productive daily life.
A lesser discussed Provision into the Healthcare Reform Bill, is called CLASS (Community Living Assistance Services and Supports). Here are some startling statistics supplied by the Democratic Policy Committee:
- Supports and services are not accessible or affordable .
- An estimated 65 percent will spend some time at home in need of maintenance providers, at an average price of $18,000 each year. [Inquiry, 2005; Department of Health and Human Services, 10/22/2008]
- Five million people under age 65 have long term maintenance needs and over 70,000 employees need help to keep their liberty and their jobs.
- A half million people are now in nursing homes. Roughly 9 million older Americans will require help with activities of daily living during the current year, and by 2030 that number will increase to 14 million.
- Finally, although rely on family and friends to provide that care must impoverish themselves to qualify.